GMWFL Autumn 2022 – Solid performance for the over 60’s stripes

Match day 3 for the over 60’s stripes saw the league debuts for Iain Dawson and Mike Bartram. The Relics were aiming to move off the foot of the table.

The first game was against Wakefield Wanderers who where just two points ahead of the Relics going into todays game. The game was tough with both sides having chances but none getting taken. Into the second half and with the Relics pressing a Wakefield defender strayed into the area, penalty to the Relics. Up stepped skipper Andy Richardson, He anticipated the keeper diving and hit it straight down the middle, but the keeper stayed put and saved the shot with his feet. Two minutes later and Andy got his revenge, he turned the defender on the edge of the box and rifled in a superb strike which had the keeper on his knees picking the ball out of the net. 1 – 0 to the Relics, and that’s how the game finished which meant that the Relics leapfrogged over Wakefield in the table, for the time being anyway.

Next up were Bolton who started the day in second place and were pushing for top spot and promotion.
Bolton had the better of the play, but Gaz in the Relics goal continued his great form from the first game and kept them at bay.
Late in the first half the Relics went ahead when Mark Thomas had space down the right and strode forward from the right back position all the way to the Bolton area and as the keeper dived to his right, Mark hit his shot high to the keepers left to give the Relics the lead. A great goal from Mark. The ref blows for half time and Andy Richardson is ecstatic, thinking we had won 1 – 0, but sadly it was only half-time.
Bolton equalised early in the second half with a shot that gave Gaz no chance. Bolton got the winner through a shot that Gaz had covered down to his left, but the shot was deflected into the other corner of the goal. A valiant effort from the Relics but unlucky with the deflection. final score Relics 1 – 2 Bolton.

Final game of the day was against Ribble Valley. A tough game with both sides having chances and Gaz again in superb form. The Relics were stunned when Ribble were awarded a penalty, but the shot was well wide of Gaz’s right hand post. The Relics played better football in the second half but nobody could break the deadlock.
Final score 0 – 0

Four point on the day was a good haul for the Relics. Positives on the day were the two new boys Iain Dawson and Mark Bartram playing well, and Gaz in great form, Mark scored a great goal from right back and Andy Richardson scored a blinder. John Howson was struggling with his stamina but was solid as usual. Sub Keith B played his part along with un-used super sub Pat.

Well done to all the players on the day, Gaz, Mark T, John H, Iain Daws, Mike Bart, Andy Rich, Pat, Keith B. Plus Manager Ken Buggie. Thanks to all the touch line support too.

For all the Greater Manchester Walking Football League Autumn fixtures and results see the Match Centre page here …